Lieutenant Colonel Zachary N. Magnin is the Commander, 62nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington. He ensures the readiness of 627 active duty and civilian personnel to provide unrivaled generation and maintenance support for 40 C-17 aircraft, ensuring worldwide combat airlift, humanitarian, and airdrop capabilities. The 62nd AMXS also generates airpower to meet the Air Force’s Prime Nuclear Airlift Force requirements and provides the primary active-duty airlift for Operation Deep Freeze, supporting the National Science Foundation’s Antarctic research.
Lieutenant Colonel Magnin received his commission in 2007 as a distinguished graduate from the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Colorado. He has served in both flight-line and back-shop maintenance capacities at the flight, squadron, and group levels as well as in numerous MAJCOM staff positions. Prior to his current position, Lt Col Magnin served as the Deputy Chief of the Aircraft Sustainment Branch, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base Louisiana. His most recent deployment was to serve as the Deputy Chief of Air Force Programs, Office of Defense Representative-Pakistan, at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan.
2007 Bachelor of Arts, Geography, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
2008 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2008 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Jet engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2010 Aircraft Maintenance Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2012 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Operations School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2016 Master of Arts, Leadership and Management, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
2020 Master of Arts, Military Operational Studies, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Ks.
1. November 2007 - November 2009, Aircraft Maintenance Unit Assistant Officer in Charge, 18th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
2. November 2009 - June 2010, Maintenance Flight Commander, 18th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
3. June 2010 - November 2010, Executive Officer, 18th Maintenance Group, Kadena AB, Japan
4. November 2010 - July 2012, Operations Flight Commander, 311th Recruiting Squadron, Canonsburg, Penn.
5. July 2012 - November 2013, Support Flight Commander, 311th Recruiting Squadron, Canonsburg, Penn.
6. November 2013 - July 2015, 393rd Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, 509th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. July 2015 - February 2017, Operations Officer, 509th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. February 2017 - October 2017, B-2 Weapon Sustainment Team Chief, Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
9. October 2017 - September 2018, Deputy Chief of Air Force Programs, Office of the Defense Representative-Pakistan, United States Embassy, Islamabad, Pakistan
10. September 2018 - June 2019, Combat Aircraft Sustainment Deputy Branch Chief, Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. June 2019 - June 2020, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Ks.
12. June 2020 - Present, Commander, 62nd AMXS, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wa.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 11, 2007
First Lieutenant June 22, 2009
Captain June 22, 2011
Major June 1, 2017
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2021
(Current as of May 2022)