Lt. Col. Timothy D. Scheffler is dual hatted as Deputy Director, Directorate of Public Works and Commander, 627th Civil Engineer Squadron on Joint Base Lewis-McChord. In these roles, he leads 400 civilians and 120 Airmen in the maintenance, repair, sustainment and operations of the infrastructure and facilities on the largest Army-led Joint Base with a $15.3B plant replacement value. Joint Base Lewis-McChord serves as a Department of Defense power projection platform for the Army’s I Corps and the Air Force’s 62nd Airlift Wing along with a myriad of other sister service and special operations units. Additionally, he is also responsible for the full spectrum readiness and training of more than 4,000 Airman on McChord Field to equip them with the knowledge to survive and operate in contested or contaminated environments.
Lt. Col. Scheffler received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Virginia Tech in 2004 where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Minors in Mathematics and Leadership. Since then he has served in a wide range of leadership positions in operations and engineering flights within the base level civil engineer squadron as well as an Electrical Engineering instructor for The Civil Engineer School. He is a fully qualified Political Military Affairs Strategist and has deployed and served in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE, AND FREEDOM’S SENTINEL. Prior to this position, he served as a Battle Watch Captain in the U.S. Southern Command (USSOUTHCOM) Joint Operations Center and the Deputy Executive Officer to the Commander where he supported two USSOUTHCOM Commanders in their communication, command, and control of the Headquarters, 5 service components, 3 joint task forces, and 21 security cooperation offices throughout the USSOUTHCOM theater of operations, which includes the Caribbean and Central and South America.
Lt Col Scheffler is a registered Electrical Engineer in the state of Ohio and a Certified Energy Manager.
2004 Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
2004 Air and Space Basic Course, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Masters of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, Wash.
2010 Squadron Officer’s School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Masters of Military Operational Art (Political Military Affairs Strategist Focus), Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. July 2004 – September 2005, Project Manager, 43rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
2. September 2005 – April 2006, Base Engineer, Multi-National Security Transition Coalition – Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
3. April 2006 – November 2006, Project Programmer and Real Property Officer, 43rd Civil Engineer Squadron,Pope AFB, N.C.
4. November 2006 – July 2007, Chief of Maintenance Engineering, 43rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. July 2007 – January 2008, Functional Deployment Planner, Air Force Central Command/A-7, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. January 2008 – June 2008, Electrical Engineer, 43rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
7. June 2008 – August 2008, Design Chief, 43rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
8. January 2010 – May 2013, Electrical Engineering Instructor, The Civil Engineer School, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. June 2013 – June 2015, Engineering Flight Commander, 379th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron,Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
10. July 2015 – June 2016, Resident Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2016 – August 2017, Battle Watch Captain, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla.
12. September 2017 – May 2019, Deputy Executive Officer to the Commander, U.S. Southern Command, Miami,Fla.
13. June 2019 – Present, Deputy Director, Directorate of Public Works and Commander, 627th Civil Engineer Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2016 – August 2017, Battle Watch Captain, Operations Directorate, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla. as a Major
2. September 2017 – May 2019, Deputy Executive Officer to the Commander, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla. as a Major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal (one oak leaf cluster)
Joint Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
SAME Presidents Recognition Award (2019)
ACC Maj General Lupia Award Recipient (2013)
ACC Federal Engineer of the Year (2010, 2013)
AU Company Grade Officer of the Year (2011)
AETC Officer Educator of the Year (2011)
Colonel Charles A. Stone Award (2010
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Life Member, Society of American Military Engineers since 2004
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers since 2002
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant June 14, 2004
First Lieutenant June 14, 2006
Captain June 14, 2008
Major December 1, 2014
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2019
(Current as of 21 Feb 20)